Lighting provided by a lamp post has three classifications based on it’s location, motorway lighting, highway lighting and foot way lighting. The responsible authority for each category is listed below:

In the majority of cases schemes for foot way lighting may have been provided by the Town Council but are “adopted” by the County Council for long term maintenance.